[FOSSGIS-Talk] FOSS4G-EU Local Chapter

till.adams at foss4g2016.org till.adams at foss4g2016.org
Mo Jun 20 14:17:58 CEST 2016

Dear FOSS4G local chapters,

(if I missed any local chapter, please feel free to spread the word also
to other European chapters.)

Marc Vloemans, Gert-Jan van der Wejden (both from local dutch chapter),
Dirk Frigne (from local chapter Belgium and OSGeo board member) and
me-myself-and-I, Till Adams (from german speaking local chapter FOSSGIS
e.V.) met end of May after Geospatial World Forum in Rotterdam. We
discussed about the potential and the need to have an European local
OSGeo chapter, which is not "above" the local chapters and which does
not overtake tasks, that are already well covered by OSGeo.org, but that
overtakes different, special European-related tasks and challenges, that
aren't already covered by local chapters or by OSGeo.org itself.

Please find our ideas and plans in the OSGeo WIKI [1].

Before sending a formal proposal to the board to ask for recognition for
the Local EU chapter, we'd like you to comment on our ideas with the
goal to make an even better OSGeo for all of us. Please comment directly
on the page in the WIKI, so you can be sure to share your thoughts with
everybody.

Because we want to go forward with that soon, please consider on
commenting ASAP as we see FOSS4G in Bonn as a good opportunity to
establish the local EU chapter.

Hope to see you all in Bonn [2] & with kind regards,

Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe
[2] http://2016.foss4g.org