[FOSSGIS-Talk] EGU General Assembly 2022 - Call for Abstracts - Deadline extended: 26 January 2022

Peter Löwe peter.loewe at gmx.de
Fr Jan 21 16:25:43 CET 2022

<Apologies for crossposting !>

Dear OSGeo communities,

this is an update on the extended deadline for submissions for this years Euorpean Geoscience Union (EGU) General Assembly and an invitation (below) from the Head of the Earth and Space Science Informatics (ESSI) session for submissions from our communities, especially for the session "ESSI3.3 Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), Cloud-based Technologies and HPC to Facilitate Collaborative Science".

I want to point out a new exciting feature for the increasing number of OSGeo projects which have registered Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) for their code repositories (Details here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/DOI):

- Each accepted EGU abstract will receive a DOI (being a scientific publication).
- Whenever the DOI for a particular software release of an OSGeo project (e.g. GRASS 8.0.0 RC2: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5854713) is cited in such a publication, the underlying DOI infrastructure will (should - this is new!) automagically assing due credit to all involved OSGeo project committers (coders, maintainers, etc.) which have an ORCID. Committers without an ORCID receive of course also due credit, yet without the automagic part (for now).

Kind regards,
Peter

---- Latest update on EGU GA 2022 --

In view of increasing event restrictions in Austria, currently limiting events to 2000 people, which the conference organizers anticipate will be relaxed later in the year and attendee concerns over the high infection rates in Europe, the EGU has had to make some important changes to our plans for this year’s General Assembly.

Firstly, the conference organizers have moved the date of the meeting to 23-27 May 2022. Moving the meeting back closer to summer months means that infection rates are likely to be lower and the Austrian rules around large events will be more flexible.

Secondly, the conference organizers have changed the format of the meeting (see https://egu22.eu/about/provisional_meeting_format.html), so that all presentations will now be short orals that can be delivered and viewed either online or in person. This change is a result of restrictions on having a large number of non-seated people in an enclosed space, like a poster hall, which has meant that the conference organizers can no longer offer the poster or vPICO options in 2022. In order to support hybrid participation, the conference organizers have changed all sessions to have short orals that can be presented in the various lecture rooms at the venue, or online by live-streamed zoom channels. The the conference organizers are also creating opportunities for both online and in-person audience participation with this format, that the conference organizers hope will maintain the accessibility that they were aiming to achieve with this, as a first step towards a fully hybrid meeting.

For more information about the changes to the General Assembly please read the full news announcement (https://www.egu.eu/news/886/important-update-egu22-change-of-date-and-format/) or the updated FAQ (https://egu22.eu/about/egu22_faqs.html). You will also receive detailed instructions at the opening of each phase in the meeting preparation process.

---- Original message from ESSI ----

Dear Colleagues

The call for abstracts for the EGU 2021 virtual General Assembly is open and will close on 12 January 2022 [EXTENDED TO 26 January 2022].

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/sessionprogramme

In 2022, EGU is planning to host parts of EGU22 as a hybrid meeting held in Vienna and online. Please note that only the vPICO sessions will be hybrid. All other sessions will require you to present in person in Vienna. https://egu22.eu/about/provisional_meeting_format.html

The provisional programme has many exciting session proposals. I would like to highlight a few of them and invite you to consider contributing an abstract.

ESSI3.1 Best Practices and Realities of Research Data Repositories: Balancing the needs of Repositories, Researchers and Publishers | vPICO

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42031

ESSI3.3 Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), Cloud-based Technologies and HPC to Facilitate Collaborative Science | vPICO

Co-organized by GI2, co-sponsored by AGU

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42416

ESSI3.5 Innovative Evaluation Frameworks and Platforms for Weather and Climate Research | vPICO

Co-organized by CL5.2/GI2

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42426

ESSI1.2 Strategies and Applications of AI and ML in a Spatiotemporal Context

Co-organized by GI2/NP4, co-sponsored by AGU

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42034

ITS2.6/AS5.1 Machine learning for Earth System modelling

Co-organized by CL5.3/ESSI1/NP4/OS4

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/43559

ESSI2.3 Established and Establishing Disciplinary International Frameworks that will Ultimately Enable Real-Time Interdisciplinary Sharing of Data

Co-sponsored by AGU

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42424

ESSI2.5 Challenges and Advances Towards Exascale Computing in Earth System Modelling

Co-organized by GD9/GM2/HS13/NP4/OS4

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42427

ITS2.3/ESSI4.1 Bridging the spatial scales, from surface sensors to satellite sensors: Innovative approaches towards the construction of Earth’s digital twin

Co-organized by CL5.1/ERE1/GI6/HS12/OS4

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/43565

GI6.3 New frontiers of multiscale monitoring, analysis, modelling and decisional support (DSS) of environmental systems

Co-organized by AS5/CL5.3/ERE1/ESSI4/GD9/NH6/NP3

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/41955

You will find more information about the call for abstracts and guidelines for authors on the EGU 2022 homepage.

Have a great festive season and a happy new year. I am looking forward to seeing you at EGU2022, in person or virtually.

Regards

Jens

--

Jens Klump BSc(Hons), Dr. rer. nat.
Group Leader Exploration Through Cover

Principal Research Scientist

Mineral Resources  |  CSIRO
jens.klump at csiro.au  | +61 8 6436 8828
CSIRO ARRC, 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington, WA 6151, Australia

http://ORCID.org/0000-0001-5911-6022

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present.

CSIRO Australia’s National Science Agency  |  csiro.au