[Maptime-Salzburg] 🗺Wed. 26th June 🌍 Maptime BBQ 👻"What’s Behind Viral Maps?"

Jakob Miksch jakob.miksch at posteo.eu
Tue Jun 18 17:44:18 CEST 2019

http://maptime.io/salzburg/event/2019/06/26/viral-maps/

On the 26th of June we will be having an evening of grilling following a
20 minute talk by Dr. Anthony Robinson, Associate Professor at Penn
State. His research focuses on cartography, geography, visual analytics
and online learning and he will be talking about viral maps.

*Guest Speaker*: Dr. Anthony Robinson <https://sites.psu.edu/arobinson/>

*Overview*: It’s now quite possible to create and share a map that is
seen by thousands of people around the world with minimal effort. Maps
that begin to spread rapidly via social media can be considered examples
of viral cartography. In recent research, we have been working in the
GeoVISTA Center at Penn State on developing new ways to analyze and
understand maps in social media. In this talk I will show some of the
progress we’ve made so far in analyzing and visualizing elements of
design, dissemination, and disinformation related to viral maps.

*date*: Wednesday, 26th June

*time*: 18:30h talk, 19:00h grilling

*place*: iDEAS:lab <https://ideaslab.sbg.ac.at/>, Schillerstrasse 30,
Techno-Z, Building/Bauteil XV [grilling outside between Campus3+4]

We will be meeting again at the iDEAS:lab <https://ideaslab.sbg.ac.at/>,
generously made possible by Z_GIS <https://zgis.at/> and heading outside
to grill afterwards. Beverages and light snacks will be available on a
pay-what-you-can donation basis, but feel free to bring your own snacks
or items to be grilled, either for yourself or to share.