[FOSSGIS-Talk] "Big Earth Data" TV documentary

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Fr Jan 23 16:25:34 CET 2015

Dear all,

here we go: the 1h documentary "Big Earth Data - our digitized planet" will be
broadcast
    by ARTE (DE, FR)
    on Feb 06, 21:45
See http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/052385-000/big-earth-data-die-digitalisierte-erde

The weekend before, a feature will be in Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine (FAZ).

This is an outcome of the EarthServer project which, according to reviewers,
"With no doubt has been shaping the Big Earth Data landscape through the
standardization activities within OGC, ISO and beyond “. The underlying rasdaman
array database will “significantly transform the way that scientists in different
areas of Earth Science will be able to access and use data in a way that
hitherto was not possible“.

Meantime EarthServer-2 has been approved, we are finalizing the contract. Goal
will be to have Petabyte datacubes of satellite images and weather data, with
NASA on board as well as the Australian National Computing Infrastructure.

Just wanted to share this exciting event.

cheers,
Peter

PS: the English version we will try to make available after the broadcast.

--
Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis
dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec
preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)